Wednesday 17 August 2011

T

Tuesday and Wednesday morning of this week was spent at my dear friend's house - Helen Beale - a real life basketry artisan.  She asked if I would be interested in observing the rebirth of an old chair that had been rescued from the tip and of course, curiosity got the better of me.


"Observing" meant helping pull the  l-o-n-g lengths of cane through the weave so they didn't twist.  We had a fun time.   Every time I visit Helen I learn something new - and this time was no different.  How to get a neat finish top and bottom on a piece of flat weave - for joy- for joy!! 

This is one chair I would definitely like to try in miniature.  Isn't it beautiful?  Who would throw something like this out?!  Admittedly the old cane looked like....well, terrible, anyway....but in no time at all it is going to look fabulous!

1 comment: